DermDefence SPF 50
Retail price: R 399.00
- Scientific data
Dermdefence SPF 50 is a revolutionary sunscreen that combines very high UV protection with cellular and DNA protection.
This formula goes beyond UV protection to defend against harmful infrared rays and blue light while supporting the skin’s ability to restore itself. This formula contains no added oil or fragrance. It is anti-comedogenic, and will therefore not clog pores.
Dermdefence SPF 50 contains the newer broad-spectrum agent Tinosorb S that has been found to be effective against UVA and UVB rays. Tinosorb S has been formulated to be more oil-soluble to aid in efficacy and broad-spectrum activity. This agent is known to prevent the formation of free radicals induced by UV radiation to a significant level. Further to this Tinosorb S is photostable, it will minimize erythema (redness), and provide excellent anti-aging effects as well as protect the skin's antioxidant defense system. Tinosorb S has no bioaccumulation, thereby exhibiting a good safety profile.
With the addition of Tinosorb S, Glycerin and Squalane Dermdefence SPF 50 is the perfect choice for patients with inflammatory skin conditions ex. Acne, Rosacea or Excema.
|UVB Filters||Uvinul® MC 80; Octisalate|
|Broad-spectrum filters||Tinosorb S|
|Antioxidants||Ubiquinone; Vitamin E|
|Emollients & Humectants||Squalane; Glycerin|
Full ingredient list
Aqua, Octyl methoxycinnamate (Uvinul® MC 80), Butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane (Avobenzone), Propylene glycol, Ethylhexyl salicylate (Octisalate), Cetyl alcohol, Glycerine, Sorbitan mono stearate, Polysorbate 20, Bis-ethylhexyloxyphenol, Methoxyphenyl triazine (Tinosorb S), Homosalate, Squalane, Ubiquinone, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexyl glycerine, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Triethanolamine, Dimethicone, Acrylate crosspolymer, Disodium EDTA
Protection against UVA, UVB, IRA (infrared light), and blue light.
Apply every morning. During extensive sun exposure, reapply as needed.
Avobenzone is the only globally available chemical sunscreen agent that provides proper UVA protection. It is the global gold standard of UVA protection and is the most used UVA sunscreen in the world. It gives very good protection across the whole UVA range (310-400 nm that is both UVA1 and UVA2) with a peak protection at 360 nm. Avobenzone has a good safety profile. It is non-irritating and shows no estrogenic effect.
Uvinul® MC 80 ultraviolet absorber is a liquid UVB filter, oil-soluble, with very good protection potential. It is an FDA Category-1 sunscreen and is approved worldwide.
Octisalate is a UVB (280-320nm) sunscreen filter with a good safety profile.
Ref: Couteau, C., et al. "Study of the efficacy of 18 sun filters authorized in European Union tested in vitro." Die Pharmazie-An International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 62.6 (2007): 449-452.
Broad Spectrum Filters
Tinosorb S is one of the best sunscreen agents known today. It is a broad-spectrum (covers the whole UVB and UVA range, 280-400 nm) chemical sunscreen agent with peak protections at about 310 and 345 nm, and unlike older UV filters, it's very photostable. It hardly deteriorates in the presence of UV light and it's also useful in stabilizing other less stable sunscreen agents, like the famous UVA protector, avobenzone.It's a new generation sunscreen agent that was specifically designed for high SPF and good UVA protection and based on a 2007 study that compared 18 sunscreen agents available in the EU it really had the best SPF protection.
It is oil-soluble and is not absorbed into the skin too much. This is good news for a sunscreen agent as it needs to be on the surface of the skin to do its job properly. It has a great safety profile and does not show estrogenic activity.
This agent is known to prevent the formation of free radicals induced by UV radiation to a significant level. Further to this Tinosorb S is photostable, it will minimize erythema (redness), and provide excellent anti-aging effects as well as protect the skin's antioxidant defense system. Tinosorb S has no bioaccumulation, thereby exhibiting a good safety profile.
Overall, Trinosorb S is one of the best sunscreen options available today.
- Pharmazie 62: 449–452 (2007), Study of the efficacy of 18 sun filters authorized in European Union tested in vitro
- Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology 34, 287–291 (2001), Lack of Binding to Isolated Estrogen or Androgen Receptors, and Inactivity in the Immature Rat Uterotrophic Assay, of the Ultraviolet Sunscreen Filters Tinosorb M-Active and Tinosorb S
- Chatelain, Eric, and Bernard Gabard. "Photostabilization of Butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane (Avobenzone) and Ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate by Bis‐ethylhexyloxyphenol methoxyphenyl triazine (Tinosorb S), a New UV Broadband Filter¶." Photochemistry and Photobiology 74.3 (2001): 401-406.
- Latha MS, Martis J, Shobha V, et al. Sunscreening agents: a review. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2013;6(1):16-26.
- Ubiquinone is an antioxidant found naturally in human cells where it plays a big role in energy production. Studies have shown Ubiquinone to absorb into the upper layer of the skin and act there like an awesome antioxidant. It not only has preventative effects but might also be able to reduce the depth of wrinkles.
- Ref 1: BioFactors 9 (1999) 371–378, Coenzyme Q10, a cutaneous antioxidant and energizer
- Ref 2: Leslie Baumann, MD, Cosmetic Dermatology, 2nd edition, Coenzyme Q10 - pages 294-295
- Vitamin E is the major fat-soluble antioxidant in our skin. As a strong antioxidant, it’s an A-player in protecting the skin cells from free-radicals that destroy collagen that makes our skin nice and firm. There are lots of studies showing that Vit E has some nice photoprotection properties, meaning it can protect the skin from UV (and in the case of Vit E it’s mainly UVB) rays. If you put it on your skin, it lowers the production of sunburn cells, reduces the damage caused by UVB rays, and inhibits photocarcinogenesis.
Emollients and Humectants
- Squalane is a superb moisturizer that makes your skin nice and smooth, without being heavy or greasy. Another advantage of squalane is that it is pretty much compatible with all skin types and skin conditions. It is excellent for acne-prone skin and safe to use even if you have fungi-related skin issues, like seborrhea or fungal acne. Squalane has anti-inflammatory properties by targeting pro- and anti-inflammatory mediators and pathways to modulate over-activation of neutrophils, monocytes, and macrophages.
- Ref: Kim, Se-Kwon, and Fatih Karadeniz. "Biological importance and applications of squalene and squalane." Advances in food and nutrition research. Vol. 65. Academic Press, 2012. 223-233.
- Ref: Ana Cárdeno, Marina Aparicio-Soto, Sergio Montserrat-de la Paz, Beatriz Bermudez, Francisco J.G. Muriana, Catalina Alarcón-de-la-Lastra,
Squalene targets pro- and anti-inflammatory mediators and pathways to modulate over-activation of neutrophils, monocytes and macrophages,
Journal of Functional Foods, Volume 14, 2015, Pages 779-790,
- Glycerin is a natural moisturizer that helps to maintain the healthy state of our skin in several ways. It helps to maintain a healthy state of the cell membranes and intracellular lipids (keeping the lipids in a nice liquid crystal state that is optimal for barrier function).